fatsecret members overall average rating
Spicy Vegan Lentil Soup with Onions
Simple soup, very inexpensive and healthy. Great source of fiber and vegan protein.
- In a stock pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Sauté chopped onion and habanero peppers until onion is soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add minced garlic and sauté until fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Add 8 cups of water, spices, and tomato paste. Bring to a boil. Spice measurements are approximate, so adjust to taste.
- Add lentils, reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes or until lentils are soft.
- Serve garnished with fresh cilantro, scallions, kefir, sour cream or cheese.
- Note: pictured with fresh cilantro, kefir and marble rye toast - not included in calorie total.
181 members have added this recipe to their cookbook.
This is one of my favorite easy meals. For a heartier soup, you could think of adding potatoes and carrots or other vegetables!
28 Nov 10 by member: k8yk
Very easy to make, even for a soup rookie. Very tasty and the spice is not overpoweringly.
I haven't decided about this soup. I followed it perfectly and it was HOT! I tried it right off the stove though so the hot was from the peppers and from the temp. I am confused about the serving size too, I am assuming 1 cup.
29 Mar 11 by member: camster
* opinions expressed on this site are those of the FatSecret members and do not necessarily reflect the views of The South Beach Diet