fatsecret members overall average rating
A northern African chicken stew with vegetables modified for all phases of the Fat Flush Plan.
- Poach, then brown chicken breasts in chicken stock in electric skillet or cast iron skillet.
- Add enough water to have a little bubbling liquid.
- Add onion slices around chicken, and sprinkle allspice, cinnamon, garlic and red pepper over all.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or so, turning chicken once. Add Stevia to sauce (and a little more water, if needed).
- Add turnips and sweet potatoes. Simmer for 20 more minutes.
- Add all other vegetables except green beans, and stir gently. Lay green beans on top. Cover, and allow to steam until beans are crisp/tender (maybe 5 minutes).
- Serve with brown or wild rice.
- Note: for Fat Flushers, sweet potatoes permitted if on Phase 3, and skip the rice.
91 members have added this recipe to their cookbook.
This was supposed to omit the turnips and sweet potatoes for Phase I. The chicken stock should be "no sodium". The rice is for the "non-dieting" other serving. Great recipe.
08 Apr 08 by member: Dianehere
I am omitting the white rice & turnips but sweet potatoes are fine on phase 2. Not to many though! I absolutely LOVE the spices!! Those could be adjusted based on your preference. Could definitely be a weekly thing! AWESOME!
09 Apr 08 by member: pretty face
DELISH! This was an awesome meal...and a family favorite. We will definately have this again!
13 Nov 08 by member: gjsusa
* opinions expressed on this site are those of the FatSecret members and do not necessarily reflect the views of Mayo Clinic Plan