Salads and Salad Dressings
fatsecret members overall average rating
Beetroot Salad with Walnuts & Prunes
This tangy salad popular in Eastern Europe, plays on sweet/bitter contrasts and is really healthy.
- Boil, (or steam, bake or microwave) beetroots whole in their skin. Check readiness by inserting a knife blade into the thickest part of the vegetable. When cool enough to handle, peel. Then grate on medium grater.
- Finely chop garlic, add to beetroot. Thinly dice prunes (previously soften, if too dry) and chop walnuts, add to beetroot mixture.
- Add mayonnaise, mix well. Check for salt. Allow to stand for 15 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with some walnuts, prunes (or parsley and grated hard cheese)
- Note: will keep for several days in the fridge.
29 members have added this recipe to their cookbook.