Low Carb Diets - Do they work for everyone?

8 PAGES
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
previous topic · next topic
Diablo360x

Joined: Jul 11
Posts: 1,494

      quote  
Posted: 30 Apr 2017, 22:37
Jadsl wrote:
this is hopeless...I know what works for me...you know what works for you, Diablo. I know that LCHF has worked best for controlling my glucose numbers and has gotten me off of fast acting insulin, decreased my need for slow acting insulin by half simply by decreasing the response to a lot of carbs if I wasn't eating this way. The weight loss has reduced one of my 3 blood pressure meds by half. It makes me feel more satiated and therefore easier for me to follow this way of eating. How you do your diet helps you address your personal dietic issues LCHF addresses mine. I am happy for you. I am going to continue to do what works for me. I am finished with this discussion/debate.


I am not trying to get you to eat like me so why are you getting defensive as if I am? I already explained, some people need to use certain "tools" to make progress. Keep it up!
Consume whatever foods you prefer, whenever you prefer to consume them, while ensuring nutrient sufficiency and meeting caloric goals.
Diablo360x

Joined: Jul 11
Posts: 1,494

      quote  
Posted: 30 Apr 2017, 22:39
Phil wrote:
Diablo360x wrote:
It's wild to me how all this science is disregarded by everyone. Like a real brainwashing is in effect. It's like Trump covering his ears when people tell him there is proof of climate change.

The difference between me and Phil, for example, is I acknowledge that any diet can work given adherence. He believes only low carb works for him metabolically despite the science proving otherwise. If low carb is your personal preference and allows you to adhere to your calorie goals, stick to it.


What you fail to recognize is that not everyone can adhere to every diet. Well, actually, you do, yet still you argue.


Please show me where I said that. Kpwcalories says the opposite. Even my signature says the opposite of what you accuse me of.

People need to find what works for them. CICO is king, implement the diet that allows you to adhere to your calorie goals.
Consume whatever foods you prefer, whenever you prefer to consume them, while ensuring nutrient sufficiency and meeting caloric goals.
minitata

Joined: Jan 17
Posts: 25

      quote  
Posted: 01 May 2017, 05:50
HCB wrote:
Diablo - did you read my first post here? I agree with the first law of thermodynamics - I just disagree about the quality of those calories. What do you care whether I eat those calories without grains or dairy because they do not agree with me? Why be mean and sarcastic? Go read my journal for today...


Quoting from The Obesity Epidemic by Zoe HARCOMBE "there is no law that says energy in equals energy out; the first law of thermodynamics is about the conservation of energy; the conservation of energy law only applies to a closed system in equilibrium, so we cannot ignore the second law of thermodynamics, entropy.

Even if you think that energy in precisely equals energy out and that we can ignore entropy and anything taking place endogenously in the human body, surely the corollary of energy in equals energy out would be that less energy in equals less energy out."

Also a calorie is a calorie - do you think that if you ate 3500 calories of lettuce or celery you'd drop a pound in weight?

Why do we think that the human body is a 'simple' machine, every time we do anything - including eating - hundreds of thousands of enzymes, bacteria, amino acids, fatty acids and more work hard at directing it to where it's needed. That all takes energy.

If your diet is sustainable - for life - which for most people means not having to measure everything you eat for ever - and it's working then it is the perfect way of eating for you. We have to remember that DIETs don't work - every diet known to man and woman fails because people always put weight on after about 6 months. Therefore you have to change your Way of Eating and not go on a diet.
minitata

Joined: Jan 17
Posts: 25

      quote  
Posted: 01 May 2017, 06:04
Diablo360x wrote:
EdMcL wrote:
I think the secret to all of this is to stay away from added sugar and don't eat anything that is packaged in a sealed bag. Stay away from processed foods. Eat stuff that grows above ground. KETO dieters do not eliminate carbs. We get complex carbs from the vegetables we eat. We get complex carbs from the low sugar fruit we eat like raspberries and blackberries. And we get complex carbs from the nuts we eat. So. we eat a little bit of everything. Another good habit? Fiber! You like Apple Juice? Eat an apple. Don't drink the juice without the fiber. You really have to change how you feel about food and the role it has in your life to be successful at maintaining your loss. Going on a diet to attain your health is a life decision. While you're losing weight it is very important to realize that the reason you are losing weight is because you changed how you were living. You can never go back to the old ways. The old ways are why we are all here.


Just ignore the case where the nutrition expert goes against all of what you're saying, lost 27lbs(he was not very overweight so it was a significant percentage of his bodyweight) while improving his health.

I've done that very thing, I've been in this field since 99' and have tried all diets, counting calories works just as well as any other diet that restricts certain foods. No wonder there are so many successful calorie counting websites. Guess what weight watchers is, a calorie counting method using points. It's been around for ages with great success stories.

I am in no way saying that low carb does not work, I'm simply stating it works the same way any other diets works, through calorie restriction. It can work without worrying about the counting because in the beginning a lot of weight is lost through water, then, the very fact that you're restricting carbs which is in easy to snack on foods are not an option. It's not rocket science.

I like how Phil, who is attempting to work against me, was on a super low calorie diet when he found success. Ironic.


I love the nutrition expert. Is this the same type of expert that suggests that diabetics should eat lots of lovely carbohydrates that will push up blood glucose - and then you have to have medication to bring your bg down? Then when you keep it down by keep on adding medication tells you how well you're doing?

I'd rather listen to the doctors/nutritionists who are willing to work at keeping people off medication thanks. Type 2 diabetes should be re-named carbohydrate intolerance disease. Because that's what it is.
minitata

Joined: Jan 17
Posts: 25

      quote  
Posted: 01 May 2017, 06:14
One thing about this thread is that the calorie followers seem to be only dealing with body builder types and not 'normal', fallible, broken people which I think a lot of the low carb high fat people are. People who've done the run around of low fat - and if they're like me, the Cambridge diet, Herbalife diet, grapefruit diet, cabbage diet, banana diet and many more. I'm 62 and have been dieting it seems for ever. I lost 25 kilos on low fat - and put it back on - I then lost the same 25 kilos on low carb (Atkins) and put 10 back on. I then went back to low carb and kept my weight steady with the odd kilo off here and there. My metabolism is broken - I can maintain weight just by sniffing food sometimes. Now I've added in fasting for a couple of days at a time and low carb/high fat and it's coming off again. And I can stick to this for the rest of my life.

Has anyone read any books on nutrition - or fat (The Secret Life of Fat is a good one) or even the original low carb diet the Banting diet?
Yourpissingm...

Joined: Dec 16
Posts: 26

      quote  
Posted: 01 May 2017, 06:42
Well said Minitata! Keto & IF is something I can stick to for life. I'm 51 and I've tried all the rest; they don't work for me. I lost 140 pounds in a year on a low carb/low fat diet and I hated it. I craved carbs all the time and I was always hungry. I gained back all the weight, and then some, within a few months when a "professional" told me it was unhealthy not to eat carbs. With high fat and IF, I don't crave carbs and I'm full. So ya'll can do what works for you and I'll do what works for me.

To the body builders - Hugh Jackman does keto and IF to get into Wolverine mode so CLEARLY it works for body builders too.

And one more thing; for the HATERS. I voted for TRUMP and I think he's doing a fantastic job! He actually cares about the working stiffs. And I'm part African, part Italian, and part English so don't even try that racist BS with me cause I got it all! Cool
~ Andi
Phil.tx

Joined: Sep 16
Posts: 46

      quote  
Posted: 01 May 2017, 11:01
Diablo just likes saying "CICO is King", like a third grader that just learned a new fart joke, and just like The Food Pyramid that same third grader gets to recite for health class, about as accurate. Too many variables from person to person to subscribe ANY methodology across the board, I'll be the first to say that Low-Carb Keto is NOT for everyone, I have no doubt that it would be DETRIMENTAL to SOME people, that's why I don't recommend anything; I have a responsibility to encourage people to find what works for them and that means NOT pushing them in any direction. BUT, I CAN lead by example, and anyone that's interested in HOW I lost over 200 pounds in less than a year is more than welcome to hit me up.
Diablo360x

Joined: Jul 11
Posts: 1,494

      quote  
Posted: 01 May 2017, 17:42
Continue to believe that fat loss is so complicated. Keep quoting books with no scientific backing. Keep supporting the charlatans that like to make you think it's not simple math so that they can make money from you.

All diets adhere to CICO, your personal food choices are personal preference. Good luck with your diets!
Consume whatever foods you prefer, whenever you prefer to consume them, while ensuring nutrient sufficiency and meeting caloric goals.
Diablo360x

Joined: Jul 11
Posts: 1,494

      quote  
Posted: 01 May 2017, 17:43
Phil wrote:
I CAN lead by example, and anyone that's interested in HOW I lost over 200 pounds in less than a year is more than welcome to hit me up.


With a super low calorie diet, that's how. It isn't rocket science. Good job, but like you said, it isn't for everyone. Not everyone can stick to sub 1k calories for as long as you, I commend you on that feat.
Consume whatever foods you prefer, whenever you prefer to consume them, while ensuring nutrient sufficiency and meeting caloric goals.
Diablo360x

Joined: Jul 11
Posts: 1,494

      quote  
Posted: 01 May 2017, 17:45
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html/

You.Are.Not.Different. No need for diet kung fu. Just simple calorie deficit over time, how you do it, is your choice. Smile
Consume whatever foods you prefer, whenever you prefer to consume them, while ensuring nutrient sufficiency and meeting caloric goals.
Phil.tx

Joined: Sep 16
Posts: 46

      quote  
Posted: 01 May 2017, 18:28
^This Diablo guy, just got no clue.
Ingria

Joined: Oct 11
Posts: 677

      quote  
Posted: 01 May 2017, 21:42
As nobody got the hint:
http://https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

You will never agree or disagree or come to understanding because there are enough articles, anecdotal evidence, and research results to quote in support of either of your opinions. Each of you will only quote research, articles and results that support the opinion you share.

Just based on my previous experience, there is higher probability of Phil losing interest and abandoning FS for good than of Diablo changing his opinion. He will always be here on FS quoting same articles as this topic gets resurrected every few months. And I will also always be here losing same ten pounds with my "everything in moderation" approach forever jealous of Diablo's famous physique. Now you can both join forces and beat me😈
~~~~~~~~~~
The first thing you lose on a diet is your sense of humor. ~ Author Unknown
It doesn’t matter what diet you follow… What matters is what makes you follow your diet. ~ Tom Venuto
Phil.tx

Joined: Sep 16
Posts: 46

      quote  
Posted: 01 May 2017, 22:51
It's not worth engaging a guy that admits he's being a condescending culero and then keeps being a condescending culero. Some people just have no self restraint.
Diablo360x

Joined: Jul 11
Posts: 1,494

      quote  
Posted: 02 May 2017, 02:10
Look, he is resorting to calling me an ***hole. Thanks, buddy! I'm fluent in Spanish. Smile
Consume whatever foods you prefer, whenever you prefer to consume them, while ensuring nutrient sufficiency and meeting caloric goals.
Diablo360x

Joined: Jul 11
Posts: 1,494

      quote  
Posted: 02 May 2017, 02:13
Ingria wrote:
As nobody got the hint:
http://https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

You will never agree or disagree or come to understanding because there are enough articles, anecdotal evidence, and research results to quote in support of either of your opinions. Each of you will only quote research, articles and results that support the opinion you share.

Just based on my previous experience, there is higher probability of Phil losing interest and abandoning FS for good than of Diablo changing his opinion. He will always be here on FS quoting same articles as this topic gets resurrected every few months. And I will also always be here losing same ten pounds with my "everything in moderation" approach forever jealous of Diablo's famous physique. Now you can both join forces and beat me😈



I'm the one posting peer reviewed science from pubmed that people who are religious about theories choose to ignore.
Consume whatever foods you prefer, whenever you prefer to consume them, while ensuring nutrient sufficiency and meeting caloric goals.
Ingria

Joined: Oct 11
Posts: 677

      quote  
Posted: 02 May 2017, 03:21
Diablo, I think it is safe to assume that you are not different from everybody else. Hence you are not immune to confirmation bias. It does not matter if you are using pubmed or not, you are only looking for publications that confirm or reinforce your point of view. I am not taking sides, I am not trying to say that one of you is right and the other is wrong. All I am trying to say is that two amateurs (and both of you are) randomly quoting different internet publications will never be able to prove anything. You are as religious about your theory as the people you fight, you just have different religions. It does not have to be a battle every time anybody mentions carbs. Evolve.
~~~~~~~~~~
The first thing you lose on a diet is your sense of humor. ~ Author Unknown
It doesn’t matter what diet you follow… What matters is what makes you follow your diet. ~ Tom Venuto
Diablo360x

Joined: Jul 11
Posts: 1,494

      quote  
Posted: 02 May 2017, 03:57
CICO is not a theory, it is hard science that has been proven time and time again. All diets are CICO with a different name. Evolve? Funny, I agree with any diet. To change my mind would be like choosing to believe that the earth is flat after knowing the truth.

I follow Alan Aragon, Brad Schoenfeld, James Krieger, etc. It's not like I only came to this conclusion over just my anecdotal evidence. I was also in disbelief before I did it myself so I can relate, but once I did it for myself while reading the science, it became clear.
Consume whatever foods you prefer, whenever you prefer to consume them, while ensuring nutrient sufficiency and meeting caloric goals.
Ingria

Joined: Oct 11
Posts: 677

      quote  
Posted: 02 May 2017, 09:23
Diablo, I am not trying to make you change your beliefs. This is part of the concept, beliefs cannot be changed, or they stop to be beliefs. Earth is not flat but it is not round either, that would be a simplification. And you cannot use a model of round Earth if you are trying to calculate plane flight routes, but round globe is perfectly fine on your desk at school. And when you try to build a house, the only way to do it, is to assume it is flat or your floors and ceilings would look strange. Everything, including CICO is not as simple as your beliefs. Though obviously CICO is one of the models that can be successfully used to explain weight loss to people. But there are other models that are equally useful. You do not need to tell people who are building houses that Earth is not flat every time they are trying to do anything, it is not round either. Again I am not asking you to change your beliefs, I am telling you that it is equally useless for you to try to convert others.
~~~~~~~~~~
The first thing you lose on a diet is your sense of humor. ~ Author Unknown
It doesn’t matter what diet you follow… What matters is what makes you follow your diet. ~ Tom Venuto
Phil.tx

Joined: Sep 16
Posts: 46

      quote  
Posted: 02 May 2017, 12:31
If he really believed his own hype he wouldn't feel the need to defend it.
OdysseusOdd

Joined: May 17
Posts: 1

      quote  
Posted: 02 May 2017, 16:22
As a bodybuilder that has probably done every type of diet, high carb, high fat, high protein etc for bulking and getting contest ready, the best thing I can advise is: The best diet is the one that you can stick to. My body personally responds best to keto diets. I do however love my carbs.



Forum Search
Advanced forum search



Latest Posts

Export Data
You can also use: https://fatsecret.azurewebsites.net/
by adefwebserver on 06 Nov 19 05:16 PM
is it possible to download or export data
This will do it: https://fatsecret.azurewebsites.net/
by adefwebserver on 06 Nov 19 05:14 PM
Who are the moderates
I don't believe there are any community moderators, if that's what you mean. Just raise an issue via the contact form, they usually get back in a reasonable time.
by ieGod on 06 Nov 19 02:56 PM
Adding a custom food with known macros???
Thank You!
by afj21 on 05 Nov 19 08:40 PM
Halloween
is anyone else having trouble staying away from all the Halloween candy??:roll: candy, candy, it's everywhere I go & everywhere I look:evil:
by smoothygirl on 25 Oct 19 12:10 PM


Get the app
    
© 2019 FatSecret. All rights reserved.