fatsecret members overall average rating
Traditional deviled eggs with a kick.
- Cut eggs in half. If the eggs went straight from the package to the water, the yolk will be set mostly on the flat end. You may want to cut the pointy half bigger, to avoid too much of a difference between halves when you put the filling in.
- Remove yolks and put into a bowl. Mash up to avoid big lumps in the filling.
- Add mayonnaise and mustard little by little to the egg yolks, mixing as you go. Important to as you go, you may not need all the mayonnaise or as much mustard every time.
- Add the cayenne and chili pepper evenly to the mixture, again tasting as you go. The mustard seed is an option but is not crucial to the taste.
- Take yolk mixture and fill the eggs, trying to keep the amount in each egg as close to even as possible.
- Sprinkle some cayenne on top of the eggs, use your fingers so you don't add more spice than you intended.
- Note: whenever I make these I need to hide them from my family or they eat them all before I wake up in the morning. To bring down the calories, you might want to use a light mayonnaise.
913 members have added this recipe to their cookbook.
* opinions expressed on this site are those of the FatSecret members and do not necessarily reflect the views of You: On a Diet