Hey Hey - For anyone using the Keto Stix - here's a bit of useful info. (this info is posted in other places here, but I'll be darned if I can find it now!)
1. Start out by checking the Expiration Date on the container of stix you are using. These need to be used w/in 6 mo's of when you open them - or by the expiration - which ever comes first. (they can be a bit pricey...and they are not 'necessary' - but can be a useful tool, if you want.)
2. No matter what color you register - you are in ketosis (beyond 'negative'. the bottle has a little color chart for you to line up your stick w/.) Don't get hung up on %'s or my purple is more purple than your purple, etc... it doesn't matter.
3. IF YOU TEST all the way at the darkest purple... you are likely overeating in the protein category. Back off - add more veggies for a few days - drink lots of water every day - and then it should come back down. IF NOT - then you should talk to your doctor (as this can be taxing on your liver and kidneys.)
4. The more faithfully you drink water each and every day... the more it will impact the overall color/smell etc of your urine. This too will usually mean your sticks might register 'trace' or the lightest end of the stick... that's ok... any 'register' of color past negative...means you are IN Ketosis.
5. Once you open the bottle, be very careful to quickly remove strip, and replace the cap. The exposure to air - for a long time (like forgetting to put the cap back on the bottle) will totally ruin your strips.
6. Be careful your hands are not moist or wet. (like out of the shower) This will ruin your strips.
7. Be careful not to touch the end of the test strip...this could impact your reading.
8. OK - so... Day 1 - Test 4 times this day. Something like 7am, 11am, 3pm and 7 pm. You are looking to see which of those 4 times gives you a good reading. (for most it could be first thing in the morning. - but not all.) And your body is in Ketosis and spilling ketones into your urine - hopefully all day long... so for some, it could be afternoons.
9. Once you figure out what is a good 'time of day' for you... Use that time each day to be your 'measure'.
While I can see how 'knowing' you are in ketosis can just be the 'motivation' you need to keep on going... all this test strip does is frustrate people. Unfortunately - our bodies are so unique... and some get purple...and no weight loss. Others register a trace...and 2-3 lbs a week loss!!! AAAAGGGHHHH!
Stick to your plan and don't focus on the small stuff like this. That's my best advice. But if you want to... at least now you know some of the pitfalls. Much Love.
Live, Love, Laugh ...make each day memorable and enjoy the journey.
The bar noted below, does not tell the entire story!