I count calories. That is the only thing I do.
I eat anything and everything I want. I just count calories. I limit portions.
I've become pretty adept at guessing calories in food because I have spent so much time on nutritiondata.com looking at the calories in different food items. It's been a useful tool in my diet plan.
I looked at several different sites on the web and condensed the info to come to the number of calories I limit myself to in one day. At five foot tall and almost totally sedentary (I detest physical activity, to a certain degree*) I eat about 1100 calories a day. When I hit a plateau I plan on adding some light exercise to my plan.
*I love the outdoors and taking walks and exploring new places, but not in an "exercise" kind of way.
TIPS! TIPS! TIPS!
1. Eat whatever you want! Limit your calories based on your current weight, height and physical activity level. There are many sites that will tell you how many calories you should eat a day to get to the weight you want to be. Google it! I looked at several of the sites and summarized the information.
2. It takes a 500 calorie deficit to lose one pound in a week. I.e. - you eat 2000 calories a day, it'll take you one week to lose a pound if you cut back to 1500 calories a day. Don't worry though, you'll keep losing weight!
3. Cut out the soda, limit to an occasional treat. Cut out the processed food, limit to an occasional treat.
4. Eat whole grain flour products, they fill you up and keep you fuller for longer. Eat smaller portions and space them out through the day. Veggies and fruits are pretty low-calorie. They are your friends. Treat them well, visit often.
5. Drink two cups of water with your meal. This will become second nature once you get in the habit and you won't feel right without your water. You will get so full off so much less.
6. You'll cheat and go over your calorie limit, it's OK. You'll get back on track. The results of the weight loss are SOOOOOOO worth it! You can do it!