Start small. For example, give up Soda and join a gym. Then as you progress, add new good habits such as more time at the gym or less bad food. Adjust as needed. Here are the goals, but don't expect yourself to follow them all at once, especially if you are out of shape and just starting. No need. If you are very overweight, like I was, just a little effort will be effective.
1. No empty calories. This means everything you eat should have nutritional value. No Soda, No Chips, No Candy. No Fast Food.
2. No snacking at night after 8 pm.
3. Eat breakfast every day.
4. Portion control. Educate yourself about what serving sizes are. For me, weighing food on a food scale was the only way to really drive this home in my mind.
5. Calorie restriction. To lose weight, you will have to restrict your calories. This is done gradually. When I was almost 300 pounds, I aimed for 2000 calories a day. Whenever I hit a plateau, I lowered the amount of calories. Now I aim for 1200.
5. Exercise. This is SO important. Again, just start small and build. If all you can do is walk, then walk. Remember, Doing Something is ALWAYS better than nothing. Strength training is just as important as cardio to build your muscle which you need to burn fat.
6. MOST IMPORTANT: Never Give Up! Don't Beat Yourself Up! Accept yourself and love yourself. You are MORE than a number on a scale.