Shhhh! It's a Secret

2 PAGES
1 | 2
previous topic · next topic
Nature-Chick

Joined: Mar 13
Posts: 8

      quote  
Posted: 21 Mar 2013, 19:35
Is anyone else not v=crazy about telling people they are "dieting?" Maybe even haven't told anyone because they are embarrassed? Why is that?

I don't tell people because of 2 reasons: a) my friends and family think that i'm very healthy already, and b) I think i feel ashamed that i don't like myself how i am or that I want to be something else.

thoughts?
Smile! You deserve it Smile
Spacey47

Joined: Apr 12
Posts: 916

      quote  
Posted: 21 Mar 2013, 22:57
It's not dieting which suggests something temporary its eating and living healthier for life
kingkeld

Joined: Sep 09
Posts: 1,995

      quote  
Posted: 22 Mar 2013, 01:36
For me, it has been ESSENTIAL to let everyknow that I decided to lose weight. Every single person that knows about my journey has been supportive and more than helpful.

Keeping it in the open and talking about it, having friends ask about it, etc. has helped me focus on it constantly.

It's a lot easier to skip the cake served at the meeting if everyone else at the table knows you're not supposed to have it. Smile

I know it's hard to convince yourself of this, but it is REALLY helpful to do it. Heck, I even announced it - with daily updates - on Facebook. Smile It was SCARY to begin with, because I had to admit my weight. But it only hurt to do it once, then it was all good, and it kept me commited.

I say announce it! LOUD! Go!

Visit my website: www.tabdig.info

"Losing weight is never about eating as little as possible"
- Kingkeld.
"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do.
― Eleanor Roosevelt
"Do. Or do not. There is no trying."
- Master Yoda.

I went from morbidly obese to being the owner of TABDIG - a weight loss coaching service that helps people worldwide losing weight. It's been an amazing journey. From October 4th 2010 to April 3rd 2012 I lost half my body weight - 80 kilos/170 lbs. Since then, I have had two cosmetic surgeries to remove excess skin. I have now quadrupled my strength, gained several kilos in muscle mass, and today I focus on building muscle, optimizing my diet, living healthy and helping people to reach the very same goals. I am stronger, healthier, thinner, happier! If you feel that you need help losing weight, don't hesitate to send me an inbox message.
Champers9

Joined: Feb 13
Posts: 66

      quote  
Posted: 22 Mar 2013, 05:21
I didnt tell to start with for 2 reasons....... no 3 reasons lol

1) I was, and still am, a very vocal 'anti fatist'.... just cant stand those judgements made on size alone...... though I never could or would argue against the health issues associated with size.
2) I'm a bit of a control freak when it comes to me and dont want 'interference' from others..... not to mention fear of failure
3) I fell into it accidentally by trying to ensure I ate 5 a day which took up so much of my stomach I lost weight! I then carried on from there.

However!!! You can only keep it quiet for so long and by then I was so involved I enjoyed discussing it. I enjoyed the feedback to a certain extent. Mind you, not many people made the mistake of saying 'You must feel sooooo much better' twice lol. I didnt feel 'bad' in the first place!!! Ooops... anti-fatist strikes again!

This time round I have had to make it plain so other people understand why Im not eating the same as them, which is very useful if you are in an eviroment where theres a lot of food sharing going on.
AquaSurf00

Joined: Sep 12
Posts: 347

      quote  
Posted: 22 Mar 2013, 08:22
I don't tell unless someone asks. Why? Because my family gives me such a hard time about losing weight. They tell me not to so I don't even bring it up anymore.
**Danielle**

Quitting is NOT an option!

SW: 293: 11/2010
CW: See ticker
GW: 193
gordita23

Joined: Nov 11
Posts: 10

      quote  
Posted: 22 Mar 2013, 09:00
I'm ashamed to tell my husband that I joined Weight Watchers because he had made a comment awhile ago as we watched a WW commercial that 'only suckers pay for something like that, it's so easy to do on your own.' This, coming from a body builder with loads of self-discipline and who can eat a bag of potato bread rolls daily while I look on with my steamed veggies and dry chicken. So he knows I've been counting calories, but I haven't officially disclosed that I'm using WW to keep track of it all.
"I love myself, more or less, but I'd love me more if there were less of me."
Nothing can possibly taste better than the feeling of proving everyone wrong.
mrspackrat

Joined: Aug 10
Posts: 556

      quote  
Posted: 22 Mar 2013, 09:29
I don't tell people I'm on a diet mainly because it's a lifestyle and like someone said, diet seems temporary. What I do today I hope to always be doing otherwise, I'll gain all the weight back.

But I didn't announce my "lifestyle" change to anyone but I knew I wanted to lose weight. I never had to lose weight before or if I had to shed a few pounds all I had to do was exercise and eat right and it came right off. This time, something was very different and no matter how much exercise and eating right, I could NOT lose weight. I blame my age and health reasons for that. So bottom line, I didn't want people at every turn scrutizing what I was doing..it took the pressure off and allowed me to experiment and ultimately find my key to losing weight.
Jesyfm

Joined: Jul 11
Posts: 3

      quote  
Posted: 22 Mar 2013, 09:50
I told my dad - a self confessed foodie - that I was dieting. Straight away it was 'that won't work, you'll always be fat'... charming!! He came up to see me last weekend with my 2 sisters (also foodies) and I was FORBIDDEN to eat anything healthy! Absolutely ridiculous!

I can't believe that some people can be so ignorant about health and diets in this day and age...

P.S. Gordita, I know what you mean. I quite often watch my boyfriend scoff a big bar of chocolate, muffins, jam tarts... and not gain a pound! Sigh.
KatarinaNB

Joined: Mar 13
Posts: 7

      quote  
Posted: 22 Mar 2013, 10:00
I'm in the same boat, i don't want people to know bc of interferences, criticisms, feeling bad that i feel bad...lol my boyfriend knows and it makes it easier sometimes when he encourages me to do what makes me happy..
mars2kids

Joined: Mar 11
Posts: 1,263

      quote  
Posted: 22 Mar 2013, 10:16
Spacey47 wrote:
It's not dieting which suggests something temporary its eating and living healthier for life

I agree with this. That's what I tell people, that I'm eating healthier and exercise because I want to be a healthy person. Not that many people really just outright ask me about "dieting", but I've had family members who ask and my hubby is very supportive of me wanting to be healthy.
It's not a bad thing to want to be healthy, sure some people may see it as vain, that all you want is to look good, but those people are always out there and the looking good is a bonus. I have family memebers who have diabetes, and I don't want to end up that way, and I already have health problems of my own that can be helped with eating right and exercise, so I'm going to do everything I can to be able to stick around as long as I can for my family. I don't see anything wrong with that. Smile
Goals for 2014:
Complete Couch to 5K- DONE!!!
Sign up for and complete a 5K- DONE!! 35 mins.
Plan at least 3 outings with the family that involve being active- 2 done
riocaz

Joined: Jun 12
Posts: 657

      quote  
Posted: 22 Mar 2013, 13:24
Jesyfm wrote:
I told my dad - a self confessed foodie - that I was dieting. Straight away it was 'that won't work, you'll always be fat'... charming!! He came up to see me last weekend with my 2 sisters (also foodies) and I was FORBIDDEN to eat anything healthy! Absolutely ridiculous!


What a terrible thing to say. And what a bad "foodie" he is... And I say this as another one who runs a "foodie" forum (where a lot of us are actively trying to lose weight right now).

Personally I would turn it back on them and tell them it's their responsibility to help you reach your goal so that in the future you can _CHOOSE_ to indulge sensibly. There are a ton of foodies who are healthy and it's our responsibility to come up with healthy delicious recipes that aid people in their journey.

mars2kids wrote:
Spacey47 wrote:
It's not dieting which suggests something temporary its eating and living healthier for life

I agree with this. That's what I tell people, that I'm eating healthier and exercise because I want to be a healthy person.


I'm afraid I disagree to a point. I think it depends on how big you are when you start and how close you are to your goal.

Right now what I am doing is a DIET. I am close to hitting my goal for my diet... But that goal was to get to a point where I could take a step back and actively make my decisions as to how I can progress further in a controlled fashion. And work out a new lifestyle for myself.

Yes I will be keeping a few things from my diet (like my lunchtime walks and other exercise. Keeping a regular eye on my weight, and my waistsize etc etc).

What I have done for the last 8 months or so is not sustainable (actually I've done a few things which I am not proud of looking back, and have been downright bloody stupid). And yes I know that once I hit this goal I have a much harder job to start. And that's not only to keep the weight off (and continue down to a healthy weight for my size) but to build a lifestyle, pretty much from the ground up, where I can indulge myself (occasionally) without going back to my previous eating habits.

Because this DIET has been bloody hard work and I sure as hell don't want to ever do it again!

42" jeans(25/01/2013) 40"(28/02/2013) 38"(20/03/2013) 36"(25/05/2013)
Down from 60" waist jeans since June 21st 2012.

Still keeping to my 26" jeans, but they are too tight for comfort. too many tasty things in the US, and over Xmas.

Onwards and Downwards! Smile
http://www.menu52.com/
Sweetalot

Joined: Sep 07
Posts: 238

      quote  
Posted: 22 Mar 2013, 14:10
I'm not on a diet although everyone assumes I am because of my weight loss. I refuse to allow others dictate what goes in my mouth. My health is my responsibility. If they ask me if I'm on a diet, I tell them no, that I've simply cut out unhealthy foods out of my life.
Gaëts
Losin25

Joined: Apr 11
Posts: 367

      quote  
Posted: 22 Mar 2013, 16:50
I didn't say anything about my weightloss because I read this article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2067745/Want-know-secret-successful-weight-loss-Dont-tell-youre-diet.html

When people asked me "are you on a diet?" I'd say "Nope, I'm just eating right and exercising."
============================================
155: After regaining 16 pounds. It's my goal again.
155: Goal Weight | March 17, 2012!!!! I did it!
Size 8: levi's jeans | February 3, 2012 (Actually, I'm a size 6. I skipped Cool
168: BMI 24.8 no longer overweight | December 1, 2011
174: Vegas vacation | September 15, 2011 (two weeks early)
180: first 27 pounds gone | August 25, 2011
186: 10% body weight lost | July 14, 2011
199: 200's gone forever | May 12, 2011
207: Starting Weight | April 28, 2011
Kathy Vanish

Joined: Dec 12
Posts: 1,019

      quote  
Posted: 22 Mar 2013, 21:28
I have told people that I am trying to loose weight, but find that the only person that really cares is me. When you keep family and friends around you that like or love you for who you are not what you weigh, they don't recognize that you might be overweight (sorry don't care for the words fat or obese). They support me and cheer me on, but tend not to dwell on it.
Tomorrow is fresh with no mistakes in it.
jesswannabet...

Joined: Mar 12
Posts: 4

      quote  
Posted: 23 Mar 2013, 05:42
I often find myself not telling people just making the changes. For one, I have a mother-in-law that insists that you can lose weight if you just eat in moderation. This could be true for her. I have to cut carbs! Second, I am surrounded by skinning people and it is hard to talk to people about weight loss or what food plan works best for you when they can eat anything under the sun.
Mikaracat

Joined: Mar 12
Posts: 64

      quote  
Posted: 25 Mar 2013, 15:15
So true! My sister and Mom are all thin-healthy! I'm the fat one, and as far as they are concerned, losing weight should be SSSOOOOO easy. They constantly say stuff like "Oh, just lose 20 lbs!" Like it's something I could just throw out overnight if I wanted to.

I have'nt said anything to them, just because I know how this will end if...no, WHEN I'm finnally where I should be. I'm going to go clothing shopping with them, and take great delight in picking out a size they assume will NOT fit! (And then proving them wrong!)

"I'm through accepting limits cause someone says they're so, Some things I cannot change But till I try, I'll never know!" - DEFYING GRAVITY
"I'm through accepting limits cause someone says they're so, Some things I cannot change, But till I try, I'll never know!" - DEFYING GRAVITY
lgreeny

Joined: Mar 13
Posts: 17

      quote  
Posted: 25 Mar 2013, 18:24
Your boundaries are all up to you. Even your sister and mom have no SAY over that. Take one day at a time. You'll get there.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free
Created by MyFitnessPal.com -
wholefoodnut

Joined: Jul 12
Posts: 1,159

      quote  
Posted: 25 Mar 2013, 19:31
Sorry that your dad was so unsupportive "foodie" doesn't mean you can't eat healthy!!! I've been a "foodie" I guess for 40 years--long before it was popular.. Love cooking and eating all types of foods--still do. Just ordered a pasta machine to learn how to make pasta. My friends and family think I'm nuts cause I buy cookbooks to read. I have also eaten healthy most of my life and have never been one for lots of fast foods,junk foods or deserts. You can eat awesome good food and lose weight. I gained my lbs due to the meds I was on for several years and a completed change in my job from very active to sitting at a desk so the lbs snuck on. Not cutting out any specific foods just watching the calories and exercise.

Enjoy the summer and the sunshine.

Jeri
SarahJean76

Joined: Oct 11
Posts: 2

      quote  
Posted: 25 Mar 2013, 20:19
Don't go on a diet, just make a lifestyle change. I did and it's staying off.
Astrid...

Joined: Mar 13
Posts: 2

      quote  
Posted: 25 Mar 2013, 20:22
Thank yuoWink



Forum Search
Advanced forum search



Latest Posts

Fed Up (2014) Documentary
marissastewart wrote: I already have shown the evidence - I've also proven it to myself with more than enough evidence. What evidence… You have shown me no evidence I don’t even think you know what ...
by corifeo on 16 Sep 14 08:27 PM
Blood pressure continues to drop
One of the main reasons I started Low Carbing was because of High Blood Pressure & I too had the whooshy pulse sound in my left ear because of it. But since low carbing it has greatly reduced.
by ebivr on 16 Sep 14 07:33 PM
low carb potatoes
Of the calories you take in by eating regular potatoes, about 85-90% come from carbohydrates. Sunlite potatoes are about 82% carbohydrate. Decide for yourself if that is truly a low carb food. If i ...
by jbheath on 16 Sep 14 07:14 PM
Has anyone tried Weight Watchers online program?
Just wondering if Weight Watchers is worth the cost... especially since fatsecret's calorie counter is so awesome. Opinions?
by Sharebearz on 16 Sep 14 05:11 PM
Contrary to popular belief the way to lose weight is not by Starving yourself or eliminating
Contrary to popular belief the way to lose weight is not by Starving yourself or eliminating or eating only certain foods. The way to lose weight is by barely eating under your maintenance level. This ...
by robbackatya on 16 Sep 14 05:03 PM