This is what I do:
It is actually very easy.
I never try to lose weight. I just eat and live like this.
1. Weigh every morning nude. This is how I determine how many calories I need every day. (There will be a variation of up to 2 Lb. day to day, depending on fluid retention, etc. as you know, one glass of water is a half pound.)
2. Count ALL calories. Using Fatsecret on mobil phone and web.
3. Most important: Eat Half my daily calories for Breakfast. Breakfast is not the time to Diet.
We need good food right away so our bodies don't go into FAMINE MODE, where it needs to gorge to survive. (If we have not gotten adequate calories by mid day, our bodies think it's a famine and craves food all evening, even when our stomach is full.
4. Eat a big Lunch.
5 Eat a snack for dinner, and no later than 3 hours before bed time.
6. Make sure I get 35g or more of fiber every day.
7. Add a gram or two of dried Kelp or other seaweed every day, for Minerals. (For many years I was getting leg cramps and very painful abdominal cramps randomly, but not since using seaweed.)
8. I read ingredients on anything I eat.
9. At the end of the day I am RARELY HUNGRY.
THIS IS NOT DIFFICULT, NOT A BATTLE. it's just changing habits.