How do I get my body in Ketosis?

previous topic · next topic
harringtonkt

Joined: Nov 06
Posts: 40

      quote  
Posted: 06 Dec 2010, 00:59
I just want to know what it takes to put my body in a fat burning mode. Does anyone know the basics of Ketosis?Question
kikikikikiki...

Joined: Oct 10
Posts: 11

      quote  
Posted: 06 Dec 2010, 03:07
Your body goes into ketosis when it does not have enough carbohydrates to fuel itself. If you restrict your carbohydrate intake, your body will burn off it's temporary stores of it (called glycogen), and then start making ketones out of fat (either your body fat or from your diet) as a substitute.

The amount of carbohydrate grams a person can eat and still get into ketosis varies, based on your physical activity level. For myself, I need to have somewhere between 0 and 30 grams of carbohydrates a day to maintain ketosis. Anything below 100 grams would, theoretically, get you into ketosis eventually.
foodisevil

Joined: May 10
Posts: 98

      quote  
Posted: 06 Dec 2010, 05:42
In order to get into ketosis you have to give up all sugars and carbohydrates. Basically a Ketosis diet means only meat and eggs and lots of water. My body can not have more than 25 grams of carbs a day in order for me to maintain Ketosis.

Make sure if you are putting your body into ketosis you are taking a good multivitamin otherwise your body can start going into anorexia regardless of your weight. You don't want to lose any exisiting muscle you have.
My start weight was 336. This was taken on 5/14/10. Unfortunately I can't get this to correct itself.

I know "Foodisevil" was not the brightest choice for a name, but I was grasping for straws when most everything else I tried was taken. I know that not all food is evil, just chocolate and McDonald's, lol!
kokusho

Joined: Jan 10
Posts: 416

      quote  
Posted: 06 Dec 2010, 09:03
I think the atkins website has a lot of information on it for free. My understanding of it is that it's not a temporary diet by any means. Going low carb pretty much means that you have to stay low carb. I'm sure somebody else here can shed some more light on that aspect and why.
"Going to war without France, is like going deer hunting without your accordion." -Norman Schwarzkopf
harringtonkt

Joined: Nov 06
Posts: 40

      quote  
Posted: 06 Dec 2010, 11:36
Thanks everybody!
kstubblefiel...

Joined: May 10
Posts: 1,400

      quote  
Posted: 06 Dec 2010, 17:09
FYI...want to make sure you're aware you don't NEED to put your body into ketosis to burn fat.

Kat | NO EXCUSES, JUST RESULTS | Next milestone - 256: 60 lbs lost
2013: still up from 1/1, but coming back down...
2010: 50.4 lbs lost | 2011:17 lbs lost | 2012: 1 lb gained
How I did it: http://stubbysticks.wordpress.com/weight-loss-summary-by-month/
russellb97

Joined: Mar 10
Posts: 524

      quote  
Posted: 06 Dec 2010, 20:00
kstubblefield wrote:
FYI...want to make sure you're aware you don't NEED to put your body into ketosis to burn fat.


Exactly! What do you think you are burning daily when your 20-30, or even 100 carbs are used up?
Fat burning goes on all day without ketosis.
The Spike Diet is available on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Spike-Diet-Russell-Branjord/dp/0615328768

Free Weight Loss Guide on Spiking Metabolism:
http://www.spike84.com/

"I Spike!"

mschrank

Joined: Sep 10
Posts: 5

      quote  
Posted: 06 Dec 2010, 21:39
Not exactly sure what ketosis is. Doesn't sound healthy at all if you really have to limit your carbs so much.

Do you want to burn fat? It's simple (but very hard!): Eat less. Move more.

That's how I've dropped almost 50 pounds in the last year. I used this site to help me monitor my calories, and made sure I ate a healthy balance of carbs, protein and fat. For me, that has been 50% carbs, 20% protein, 30% fat. I feel great and have found a diet I feel I can maintain for the rest of my life. That's my 2 cents...take it or leave it.
an00bis

Joined: Jun 10
Posts: 641

      quote  
Posted: 07 Dec 2010, 00:00
mschrank wrote:
Not exactly sure what ketosis is. Doesn't sound healthy at all if you really have to limit your carbs so much.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketosis

It is not unhealthy, and it ensures that the weight you're losing is coming from fat rather than muscle. Eat less, move more is great, but if your "eat less" consists of eating too little protein, then you're just asking for a catabolic nightmare. There's a massive difference between getting down to your goal weight with 10% body fat remaining or with 20%. I'd much rather have the former.

I'm not saying it's impossible to do that without ketosis, but I can definitely identify with someone wanting to take that route. No need to bash it.

I agree with the first reply to the original post.
If you think my post is too abrasive, harsh, or offensive, you're:
A) Wrong.
B) Too sensitive.
C) Not going to receive an apology for pointing it out.
WiiFitFatty

Joined: May 10
Posts: 181

      quote  
Posted: 07 Dec 2010, 07:54
foodisevil wrote:
In order to get into ketosis you have to give up all sugars and carbohydrates. Basically a Ketosis diet means only meat and eggs and lots of water. My body can not have more than 25 grams of carbs a day in order for me to maintain Ketosis.

Make sure if you are putting your body into ketosis you are taking a good multivitamin otherwise your body can start going into anorexia regardless of your weight. You don't want to lose any exisiting muscle you have.


Ehhh... couple of issues here. Perhaps you didn't phrase it quite how you meant!

You do not need to give up ALL carbs to get into ketosis. You will need to eat a LOT of vegetables - just not high carb veg. I eat tons of salad, mangetout, broccoli, aubergine, spinach, etc. I find I often eat much more veg and salad then people on low-cal diets - who then turn around and tell me "Atkins isn't healthy because all you eat is meat!" Laughing

Anorexia is a mental illness. Your body can't "go into anorexia", because anorexia happens in the mind. I think maybe you meant "go into starvation mode."

Smile
Cheers,

Karen

My site:
http://www.topfastweightloss.com
Follow me on Twitter:
http://goo.gl/k3qS9
foodisevil

Joined: May 10
Posts: 98

      quote  
Posted: 08 Dec 2010, 18:04
There is a difference between the Atkins diet and the Ketosis diet. On Atkins, (which Im not as educated on as I am on the Ketosis diet) aren't you allowed some carbs?

On the Ketosis diet, you are not supposed to have more than 20-25g carbs/day. Most veggies have carbs that add up quickly. Even meat and eggs have carbs, thats why veggies are eliminated from the Ketosis diet.

I went to a specialist in Ketosis diets here and the diet they placed me on was 30 days of only meats and eggs, fish and some seafood. There were no veggies. For my next 30 days I was allowed a minimum amount of veggies. I still needed to stay in ketosis and maintain less than 25 g carbs/day. Then I repeated the cycle.

I didn't mean you become anorexic, what I meant was your body can go into an anorexic state causing you to burn muscle instead of fat, which is basically the same thing as startvation mode.

So far I have lost over 80 pounds in 6 months doing this. I don't recommend or push my diet on anyone. This is just what worked for me.

It is a lifestyle change, not just a diet. You can put your body into ketosis and lose the weight, but once you are out of ketosis you do take a great risk of gaining it all back. You have to be able to maintain. I'm sure later in the program more veggies and other foods will be introduced back into my diet, so my body will adjust.

Thanks! Smile
My start weight was 336. This was taken on 5/14/10. Unfortunately I can't get this to correct itself.

I know "Foodisevil" was not the brightest choice for a name, but I was grasping for straws when most everything else I tried was taken. I know that not all food is evil, just chocolate and McDonald's, lol!
Pixiestyx

Joined: Oct 10
Posts: 559

      quote  
Posted: 08 Dec 2010, 19:44
anOObis even if in this case it was 100% true I wouldn't trust wiki for my medical info. Anyone and everyone can edit it with info that can be true or false.
So saying it is healthy because wiki says it is kinda scary. What's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander.
an00bis

Joined: Jun 10
Posts: 641

      quote  
Posted: 08 Dec 2010, 20:30
No no, you misunderstood. I'm not justifying the healthiness with the wiki, I was using that to answer the "not sure what ketosis is" part.

If you think my post is too abrasive, harsh, or offensive, you're:
A) Wrong.
B) Too sensitive.
C) Not going to receive an apology for pointing it out.
Pixiestyx

Joined: Oct 10
Posts: 559

      quote  
Posted: 08 Dec 2010, 21:08
an00bis wrote:
No no, you misunderstood. I'm not justifying the healthiness with the wiki, I was using that to answer the "not sure what ketosis is" part.


Oh ok lol. Least that part of the info is safe Smile
mschrank

Joined: Sep 10
Posts: 5

      quote  
Posted: 10 Dec 2010, 10:37
an00bis wrote:


It is not unhealthy, and it ensures that the weight you're losing is coming from fat rather than muscle. Eat less, move more is great, but if your "eat less" consists of eating too little protein, then you're just asking for a catabolic nightmare. There's a massive difference between getting down to your goal weight with 10% body fat remaining or with 20%. I'd much rather have the former.



"It is not unhealthy"? C'mon. A diet that eliminates fruit and vegetables in "not unhealthy"? Where do you get your fiber? How about vitamins and minerals? From supplements? Rolling Eyes
And as far as a "catabolic nightmare," I think that's just hogwash. Your body would much rather grab energy from fat than from muscle, so if you have fat, that's where your body goes first. This whole catabolism thing is really over-rated. You might have to worry about ite if you are a hard-core bodybuilder with a very low fat percentage, but I don't think that describes most of us on this site. Most Americans would have to try pretty hard to eat "too little protein."

Look, it's up to each of you to decide what is healthy for you. I'll stick to my 50% carbs, 20% protein, and 30% fat. It helped me lose weight and now I'm gaining muscle. I'm not depriving myself of any one type of food.
an00bis

Joined: Jun 10
Posts: 641

      quote  
Posted: 10 Dec 2010, 10:59
mschrank wrote:
an00bis wrote:


It is not unhealthy, and it ensures that the weight you're losing is coming from fat rather than muscle. Eat less, move more is great, but if your "eat less" consists of eating too little protein, then you're just asking for a catabolic nightmare. There's a massive difference between getting down to your goal weight with 10% body fat remaining or with 20%. I'd much rather have the former.



"It is not unhealthy"? C'mon. A diet that eliminates fruit and vegetables in "not unhealthy"? Where do you get your fiber? How about vitamins and minerals? From supplements? Rolling Eyes
And as far as a "catabolic nightmare," I think that's just hogwash. Your body would much rather grab energy from fat than from muscle, so if you have fat, that's where your body goes first. This whole catabolism thing is really over-rated. You might have to worry about ite if you are a hard-core bodybuilder with a very low fat percentage, but I don't think that describes most of us on this site. Most Americans would have to try pretty hard to eat "too little protein."

Look, it's up to each of you to decide what is healthy for you. I'll stick to my 50% carbs, 20% protein, and 30% fat. It helped me lose weight and now I'm gaining muscle. I'm not depriving myself of any one type of food.


Wow. You're being just like every other uneducated person. Congrats.
"Cuts out fruits and vegetables"?? Since when? Ask any person that is on a low carb diet, and if they're doing it right, they're getting all of their daily carbs from healthy fruits and vegetables. While I low carbed, every day I had such foods as spinach, broccoli, tomatoes, asparagus, water chestnuts, carrots, etc. That's more than most people can say for themselves.

Catabolism is "hogwash"? This is absurd. If you want to actually learn something, instead of judging something without having done a lick of research, go read some of the things posted in the "lose weight fast" thread. Particularly glance at what is written in my last reply. Real people, including myself, experienced this "hogwash".

Please, keep reducing your calories and not worrying about catabolic hormones, insulin manipulation, cortisol production, or any of those other essential things. I'd love nothing more than for you to stay in the dark. The fewer people there are with genuinely good looking, healthy bodies, the more rewarding it is to have one.
If you think my post is too abrasive, harsh, or offensive, you're:
A) Wrong.
B) Too sensitive.
C) Not going to receive an apology for pointing it out.
feeling...

Joined: Aug 10
Posts: 523

      quote  
Posted: 11 Dec 2010, 00:26
Thanks an00bis for your knowledge and patience explaining things over and over to those that make snap assumptions!! I am on a low carb Atkins eating plan and I eat plenty of veggies, and although there many I dont care for I do eat plenty of mushrooms, tomato, sweet peppers, lettuce, spinach, artichoke, pumpkin, asparagus, broccoli, and avocado just to name a few. And the artichoke, pumpkin, broccoli, and avocado are loaded with fiber!

What works for one person doesnt work for all. 5 years ago I started gaining weight for no reason, there was no change in my eating and yet I was putting on 20 lbs at a time, in a very short period of time (once I gained 20 lbs in one week!) I was devastated and started dieting, cutting calories, exercising more and cutting fat. The result was more weight gain.

I began to suspect my thyroid, but couldnt find a doctor to help me. They did the standard THS test which came back normal, and the doctor tells me to eat less and exercise more!! I was working myself to exhaustion doing cardio and starving and all it did was cause me to gain 100 lbs. (and my lean muscle mass decreased while I gained fat)
Thankfully, after research and persistance I found low carb and read that I could bypass problems with insulin resistance with a low carb diet, and I immediatly started losing weight.

Long story short I also finally found a doctor to do all the thyroid tests, not just the TSH, but T3 and T4. I found out that my T3 is almost non-existant and T4 is low and I am hypothyroid. Now the problem is finding a doctor knowledgeable to treat it. You may be thinking "no problem" but its not as easy as it sounds. Hypothyroidism is a very personal disease, and patients react differently to different medications, but unfortunatly, too many doctors tend to treat it with a "one size fits all" attitude.

The moral of the story is, while 75% of people may be able to lose weight on the "eat less move more" theory, there is another 25% that can only achieve the results they need by reducing carbs. I fight hard to lose every pound with my insulin resistance, meaning the body produces too much insulin. Insulin's job is to store and release fat. If you have too much insulin, it will keep that fat stored and no matter how much fat you have, the body will not release it to be burned as fuel.
And FYI, there are many tiny ladies eating over 2000 calories and still losing weight on a healthy low carb plan.



Forum Search
Advanced forum search



Latest Posts

today is my birthday!!!!!!!!!!
have a very happy birthday :)
by Changingme1 on 01 Aug 14 05:33 PM
RDI
I don't agree with the "calculated" RDI for me. Can I do a manuel overide?
by sjensen23 on 01 Aug 14 05:29 PM
Having a go Joe!
Hi Andy definitely talking about the toy boy! :).
by nb girl on 01 Aug 14 03:25 PM
Bowel Movements
I have been told that I have pointy angles on my colon and the sharp corners prevent things from rounding the corners easily. Laying down, a bowel massage helps to move things along at times. Also, ch ...
by mrsmole on 01 Aug 14 01:19 PM
I did well today!!!!
Correction: not "Resisting", but CHOOSING not to eat it. Big difference: "resisting" sounds like you're white knuckling through the situation, but making a choice gives you power ...
by kkd1125 on 01 Aug 14 11:10 AM