This is not a good change !!!

7 PAGES
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
previous topic · next topic
Hekele

Joined: Feb 10
Posts: 1

      quote  
Posted: 30 Apr 2010, 09:21
You don't need to call them WW Points, just points. RDI is going to really mess me up. This was a terrific site, now not so sure...Sad
k8yk

Joined: Jan 09
Posts: 4,546

      quote  
Posted: 30 Apr 2010, 10:19
Why? It's the same thing to calorie count, just less math Smile

I'm really amazed at how many people feel they need to convert calories to points to do this! Really???

Honestly, I always felt the value of WW would be in the meetings and support. If you're doing it for free (which is sort of stealing, IMO- I mean think about it. It's a paid plan that you don't want to pay for so you find sneaky ways to do it) then I really don't understand why you'd want to convert calories to points. It's just more math, it doesn't change anything. Calories are listed on every food, "Points" are not.

Leave behind the "diet mindset" people! Just learn to eat healthy for life! And you'll never have to worry about a point again!
My blog, This is not a Diet:
http://notsobigk.wordpress.com
Follow me on Facebook for tips, recipes, advice, exercise ideas and more:
http://www.facebook.com/notadiet
bellachica64

Joined: Aug 09
Posts: 3

      quote  
Posted: 30 Apr 2010, 10:39
to k8yk,

you just opened my eyes, you are so right, i was rather upset about the points, but the calories, and the percentage of fat, carbs and protein just plainly make so much more sense.
alllicat

Joined: Nov 09
Posts: 39

      quote  
Posted: 30 Apr 2010, 10:50
@k8yk.
Bbecause I can't afford to pay for Weight Watchers, and I've found NO other way other than counting points and figuring it out that way, then am I stealing? If you start doing the South Beach diet and google the facts about it instead of buying the book, is that stealing. Please if you've found another way to lose weight, then congratulations, but I've found my way and I do not appreciate being labeled a thief by you. And who are you to put down anything? Because it's not how you chose to lose weight, doesn't mean it's a bad system.
the most satisfying thing I ever took a bite of was my tounge.
MBR

Joined: Jan 10
Posts: 3

      quote  
Posted: 30 Apr 2010, 10:55
Why would anyone knock a program that has worked for some many people? Just because counting calories has worked for you doesn't mean that it works for everyone. And if you are someone who has struggled with your weight your entire life, you have probably tried several different "diets" or "plans". I finally found WW and it works for me. So don't be critical when others depend on that Point calculation for their success. The reason people use this "free" site is because its just ridiculous that WW requires you to pay to use their online tracking system AND pay for the meetings. So, I'm not just mad at Fatsecret for doing away with the points. I'm also mad at WW for forcing Fatsecret to do away with the points so that people who are already WW members will be forced to pay their high fees to use the online tracking system. The meetings and support are only one part of the process....the tracking is a huge part, as well. And that is why many people rely on sites like these to track their food intake. I think the WW users on Fatsecret have every right to be upset by this change.
k8yk

Joined: Jan 09
Posts: 4,546

      quote  
Posted: 30 Apr 2010, 10:58
I'm not critical of it working- I'm critical that they MAKE YOU PAY!!! WW is exactly the same thing as calorie counting! It is so obvious! It just adds another level of math.

I think the WW corporation has every right to want to make money off THEIR product. It is not ridiculous for a corporation to require you to pay for their product, that's called Capitalism! You choose to pay for it or you choose not to. But choosing to use it without paying for it, is stealing.

You can do the same thing without the points, honest to god, why is this so difficult to comprehend?? bellachica seems to get it just fine Smile
My blog, This is not a Diet:
http://notsobigk.wordpress.com
Follow me on Facebook for tips, recipes, advice, exercise ideas and more:
http://www.facebook.com/notadiet
Lucylu25

Joined: Apr 10
Posts: 5

      quote  
Posted: 30 Apr 2010, 11:06
MBR wrote:
Why would anyone knock a program that has worked for some many people? Just because counting calories has worked for you doesn't mean that it works for everyone. And if you are someone who has struggled with your weight your entire life, you have probably tried several different "diets" or "plans". I finally found WW and it works for me. So don't be critical when others depend on that Point calculation for their success. The reason people use this "free" site is because its just ridiculous that WW requires you to pay to use their online tracking system AND pay for the meetings. So, I'm not just mad at Fatsecret for doing away with the points. I'm also mad at WW for forcing Fatsecret to do away with the points so that people who are already WW members will be forced to pay their high fees to use the online tracking system. The meetings and support are only one part of the process....the tracking is a huge part, as well. And that is why many people rely on sites like these to track their food intake. I think the WW users on Fatsecret have every right to be upset by this change.


I agree with you 100%. It has nothing to do with ww. It has to do with people always making a big deal about everything. Like the HCG diet.
k8yk

Joined: Jan 09
Posts: 4,546

      quote  
Posted: 30 Apr 2010, 11:07
Please read and comprehend before commenting, thanks.

I'm not knocking that it works. I actually think WW is a fine plan for losing weight. I'm knocking that it COSTS MONEY.

Don't get your panties all up in a bunch Wink
My blog, This is not a Diet:
http://notsobigk.wordpress.com
Follow me on Facebook for tips, recipes, advice, exercise ideas and more:
http://www.facebook.com/notadiet
GilmoreGirl

Joined: Feb 10
Posts: 401

      quote  
Posted: 30 Apr 2010, 11:08
not the same thing. WW Points include calories, fiber, and fat. So it's promoting a low calorie, low fat, high fiber diet.

(not on ww currently, but still felt the need to clarify this!)
mini goals:
170 - 50 pounds gone! (reached October 2, 2010)
155 - no longer overweight! (reached January 22, 2011)
145 - 75 Pounds gone! (reached May 14, 2011)
135 - ultimate goal weight!

Follow my journey towards the kind life:
http://www.kindlifeofleah.blogspot.com/

alllicat

Joined: Nov 09
Posts: 39

      quote  
Posted: 30 Apr 2010, 11:09
@k8yk

This does not need to get personal, and I do understand, but your hypocritcal statements in your last post must be addressed. You, in your first paragraph, admonish the fact that Weight Watchers are made to pay for their services. Then, in your second paragraph, you applaud them for their capitalism. I'm not quite sure where you stand.

I do understand why Fatsecret felt the need to do this. The only problem I have currently is your thoughts that you need to have an opinion on this. Sure it's a free country and a free website where you can express as you please, but as you've said, you don't use the points system, so why do you have an opinion on it if it doesn't affect you directly?
the most satisfying thing I ever took a bite of was my tounge.
GilmoreGirl

Joined: Feb 10
Posts: 401

      quote  
Posted: 30 Apr 2010, 11:09
well, I guess "low calorie" isn't entirely accurate. Healthy caloric range, low fat, and high fiber.
mini goals:
170 - 50 pounds gone! (reached October 2, 2010)
155 - no longer overweight! (reached January 22, 2011)
145 - 75 Pounds gone! (reached May 14, 2011)
135 - ultimate goal weight!

Follow my journey towards the kind life:
http://www.kindlifeofleah.blogspot.com/

Divided By...

Joined: Aug 08
Posts: 817

      quote  
Posted: 30 Apr 2010, 11:11
k8yk wrote:
WW is exactly the same thing as calorie counting!


Yup, but you'd be in for a shock if they automatically calculated all your calories as points instead. Razz

They're just used to that system. It really is the same thing, only WW has a tendency to go too low with calories in my opinion.

For the people having panic attacks... WW is calorie counting, they just use smaller numbers to make it easier. Unfortunately that feature has been taken out for now. If you don't have any other way to track points, then I might suggest you find a BMR calculator online, then eat about that many calories (maybe a few hundred less), and work out.

Most importantly...


"You are now watchin' the throne. Don't let me into my zone. Don't let me into my zone.
I'm definitely in my zone."
k8yk

Joined: Jan 09
Posts: 4,546

      quote  
Posted: 30 Apr 2010, 11:16
alllicat wrote:
@k8yk
This does not need to get personal, and I do understand, but your hypocritcal statements in your last post must be addressed. You, in your first paragraph, admonish the fact that Weight Watchers are made to pay for their services. Then, in your second paragraph, you applaud them for their capitalism. I'm not quite sure where you stand.


Let me make it clearer. WW is a corporation designed to make money. They charge for their products and customers pay. This is how capitalism works. FACT.

HOWEVER, in order to lose weight, you do not need to pay for ANYTHING! WW is really just the same as calorie counting, which is free. Just pick the % fat, protein and carbs you are aiming for and GO.

Why can't I express my opinion? That is silly to suggest I should not. It's a public forum where we are all free to express our opinions.

I am a regular person who has struggled with weight all my life, and I have paid for many a diet plan. But I was duped! You don't need to pay for anything! I am trying to help other people figure this out so we can all stop wasting our time and money.

If you don't like it, don't listen to me. I'm just some random internet person. Why take me seriously? People say things on here I disagree with constantly. Either debate me or laugh it off, but don't bother telling me to shut up because I WILL NOT.
My blog, This is not a Diet:
http://notsobigk.wordpress.com
Follow me on Facebook for tips, recipes, advice, exercise ideas and more:
http://www.facebook.com/notadiet
CiindeeD

Joined: Jan 10
Posts: 12

      quote  
Posted: 30 Apr 2010, 11:16
WW has every right to expect payment for the service they spent the time and money researching and developing. I don't disagree that WW has a good product however I agree with k8yk in that it's just another level of math and I personally find calorie counting less confusing then the WW point system *especially* with a tool like FS.

From someone who has literally "tried it all" I would encourage any WW folks who can't afford their online portal to at least go in with an open mind and just give calorie counting a try - it may actually work for you Smile I have struggled with my weight for over 20 years and only just recently discovered that the only way to lose is not in a can or a magic pill but to simply burn more than I take it Wink
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts ~ Winston Churchill
brads_wife

Joined: Jan 10
Posts: 46

      quote  
Posted: 30 Apr 2010, 11:18
GilmoreGirl wrote:
not the same thing. WW Points include calories, fiber, and fat. So it's promoting a low calorie, low fat, high fiber diet.

(not on ww currently, but still felt the need to clarify this!)


EXACTLY. My husband has diverticulitis and his surgeon, of all people, recommended that he do WW because it promotes a high fiber/low fat diet. This site was his way of easily tracking his points. He'll just go back to doing it on paper now, which sucks, but isn't terrible - at least he has the WW paper scale/calculator thingy, a lot of people don't even have that!

And WW is a lifestyle change. It teaches you to look for foods high in fiber, stay away from those higher in fat, and keep things in moderation. The points counter on here has taught both of us what kind of fat and fiber grams will be in 3 point items, 4 point items and so on. Like, I know I'm at 9-10 points right now, without adding it up with the calculator, because I have learned. And thats great for me, but other people aren't necessarily going to have that down just yet, maybe they're newer to the program.

It just sucks royally. I think everyone can understand WHY fs did this, but that doesn't mean everyone is going to like it. Let them vent.
~*~*~ Jess ~*~*~
Divided By...

Joined: Aug 08
Posts: 817

      quote  
Posted: 30 Apr 2010, 11:21
GilmoreGirl wrote:
not the same thing. WW Points include calories, fiber, and fat. So it's promoting a low calorie, low fat, high fiber diet.


High fat foods are higher in calories because fat grams have more calories than carbs or protein.

High fiber foods are almost always low calorie.

It really is just calorie counting with smaller numbers. That's why I've never really supported pay-per-chew programs. They just repackage what is already out there. I know it's easier for some people, but it's essentially the same system.

"You are now watchin' the throne. Don't let me into my zone. Don't let me into my zone.
I'm definitely in my zone."
k8yk

Joined: Jan 09
Posts: 4,546

      quote  
Posted: 30 Apr 2010, 11:26
If you need to eat more fiber, eat more fiber! Why do you need points to do that? The fiber content is listed right here on Fat Secret and on nutritional labels. For Free.

If you want to eat low fat, eat low fat. The fat content is listed right here on Fat Secret and on nutritional labels. For Free.

Is this really rocket science? It seems incredibly obvious to me. I know points are what you're used to. But if you think WW is some kind of magic miracle, maybe you should give them some money for developing such a wonderful program!

I'm just sayin... I know I'm in for a lot of flaming today Smile
My blog, This is not a Diet:
http://notsobigk.wordpress.com
Follow me on Facebook for tips, recipes, advice, exercise ideas and more:
http://www.facebook.com/notadiet
mickenzie

Joined: Feb 10
Posts: 3

      quote  
Posted: 30 Apr 2010, 11:35
k8yk, quite frankly, let people be upset. it is upsetting when you get to know a program and then can't do it without shelling out 40 bucks a month. seriously, just be quiet. you had your chance to speak, now let others.
GilmoreGirl

Joined: Feb 10
Posts: 401

      quote  
Posted: 30 Apr 2010, 11:37
I agree: Pay WW for WW. I did notice on here that the points were a bit off compared to the ww.com points calculator. So if you want the "real" ww program, cough up the $16.95 a month to join ww.com.

(Or just do what I do and focus on eating whole foods and stop counting altogether.)
mini goals:
170 - 50 pounds gone! (reached October 2, 2010)
155 - no longer overweight! (reached January 22, 2011)
145 - 75 Pounds gone! (reached May 14, 2011)
135 - ultimate goal weight!

Follow my journey towards the kind life:
http://www.kindlifeofleah.blogspot.com/

Divided By...

Joined: Aug 08
Posts: 817

      quote  
Posted: 30 Apr 2010, 11:37
mickenzie wrote:
k8yk, quite frankly, let people be upset. it is upsetting when you get to know a program and then can't do it without shelling out 40 bucks a month. seriously, just be quiet. you had your chance to speak, now let others.


Telling someone to stop talking online.... will never work. In fact, it will have the opposite effect.

Welcome to the internets. Enjoy your stay.

"You are now watchin' the throne. Don't let me into my zone. Don't let me into my zone.
I'm definitely in my zone."



Forum Search
Advanced forum search



Latest Posts

weight loss tablets
littlemissmouse wrote: Does anybody on here use Orlistat? Known in the States as Xenical and in the UK is available in a low dose over the counter and is called Alli? i have it prescribed to me from the ...
by MamaLutts on 23 Oct 14 09:54 AM
A fun thread. What are you reading?
An amazing read. I hope you enjoy it and learn as I have.
by ClassicRocker on 21 Oct 14 10:03 PM
WW Points -- Kinda Sorta Back?
It would be nice to have the option to track points i would use it if it is for the old points plan.
by janmclark1968 on 21 Oct 14 10:21 AM
Weight Training
Skydiverjim, had to laugh at your comment, I see lots of men and women doing that. I go do my routine, not much for breaks in between. Maybe a bit of chitchat with someone asking how something works or ...
by wholefoodnut on 11 Oct 14 03:44 PM
Don't understand kcal
I think one is your daily recommended intake needed to lose weight and the other is your daily energy expenditure, how much you're actually burning daily through exercise etc to stay at your current ...
by ebivr on 30 Sep 14 04:20 AM

Member Tip

average member ranking
by member Ashley2265
This is a good starting point, but you really need an exercise plan to maximize the results. Even if it is just walking. Get moving!
04 Jul 13 for diet Weight Watchers