How to Cut Down Calories to Lose Weight

3 PAGES
1 | 2 | 3
previous topic · next topic
Spacey47

Joined: Apr 12
Posts: 916

      quote  
Posted: 30 Jun 2013, 15:03
chopp wrote:


Solid info! Check out these theorys on weight loss:
http://choppysreviews.com/fat-loss-f-a-q/


That website is so bad it's almost good!

I love the animals work out what utter madness!

Check out the easy 6 pack spam e book gotta love it

There are so many of these secrets about these days Shock
reddarin

Joined: Nov 11
Posts: 959

      quote  
Posted: 30 Jun 2013, 15:23
Spacey47 wrote:
I'm not a bodybuilder I just train to keep fit

I do a circuit weight/body weight session one day and a 5 mile power walk the next have a regular day and then repeat

I love eating chocolate popcorn crisps and cake and see no reason to stop!


Thanks Smile

Your regular day is different from your circuit/body weight day? No day at all without exercise of some kind?

I'm pragmatical. If what you are doing diet-wise is working for you then keep on kicking butt.

http://nkevolution.freeforums.net/
Spacey47

Joined: Apr 12
Posts: 916

      quote  
Posted: 30 Jun 2013, 15:32
My regular day involves no planned exercise, I walk most places like to the train station etc I would call it a rest day
reddarin

Joined: Nov 11
Posts: 959

      quote  
Posted: 30 Jun 2013, 15:43
Spacey47 wrote:
My regular day involves no planned exercise, I walk most places like to the train station etc I would call it a rest day


Two days on one day off, got it.

And your advice to someone just starting out? More rest days, about the same, or train every day with one or two rest days a week?
Spacey47

Joined: Apr 12
Posts: 916

      quote  
Posted: 30 Jun 2013, 15:54
I'm pragmatical. If what you are doing diet-wise is working for you then keep on kicking butt






People make up all sorts of nonsense re keeping fit and healthy, low carb high carb, low fat high fat etc etc.

It's far more simple than that, eat healthy food must of the time get enough protein and maintain a caloric deficit if you want to lose weight or at even to maintain weight or more to gain

Pretty much everything else is BS

Spacey47

Joined: Apr 12
Posts: 916

      quote  
Posted: 30 Jun 2013, 15:58
reddarin wrote:

Two days on one day off, got it.

And your advice to someone just starting out? More rest days, about the same, or train every day with one or two rest days a week?


Depends on your level of fitness, General health, age and goals

Just maintain a good balance and build slowly but always try to train more intensely but don't over do it

It's about 80% diet and 20% exercise in my experience but it's an important 20%
reddarin

Joined: Nov 11
Posts: 959

      quote  
Posted: 30 Jun 2013, 16:32
Spacey47 wrote:
People make up all sorts of nonsense re keeping fit and healthy, low carb high carb, low fat high fat etc etc.

It's far more simple than that, eat healthy food must of the time get enough protein and maintain a caloric deficit if you want to lose weight or at even to maintain weight or more to gain

Pretty much everything else is BS



No sir, it is not as simple as that. If it were, there wouldn't be a so-called obesity epidemic in America. If it were as simple as that, there wouldn't be a gazillion dollar diet industry. If it were as simple as that this thread wouldn't exist for us to be disagreeing.

I mean, really, give it some thought. Your proscription means that every fat person is too stupid and lazy to understand your simple weigh loss plan. I can understand that being a reasonable position for some percentage of the overweight population, but *all* of them? The vast majority of them?

I appreciate that you feel that you are correct and feel like you are doing justice when you call BS on something you think is BS but you are apparently very uninformed about the science behind LC and metabolism in general.

Back when you first posted disinformation about LC every symptom you attributed to LC was, in fact, symptoms of thyroid issues. LC does not have a bad effect on the thyroid. Low calorie, on the other hand, does affect the thyroid no matter what eating plan you follow if you follow any at all.

As I said earlier, we can agree to disagree about diet. No worries.

I really appreciate your taking the time to describe your approach to workout frequency. Thank you.

Darin
http://nkevolution.freeforums.net/
Spacey47

Joined: Apr 12
Posts: 916

      quote  
Posted: 30 Jun 2013, 16:41
Dude people are fat because they eat too much and move to little

There is NO verified science behind LC every ward study had shown NO advantage in eating low carb over another diet if the calories are the same

PLEASE don't quote fat health gurus like taubes, Atkins etc none of whom had a physique that anyone would aspire to

Americans are the worst supersize this man vs food the whole culture is based on gluttony these days and being hugely over weight is seen as normal.

Adults pass they're bad habits to their kids and so it continues

The japanese eat loads of carbs yet have very low levels of obesity and live for a long time what they don't generally do
Is over eat.

reddarin

Joined: Nov 11
Posts: 959

      quote  
Posted: 30 Jun 2013, 17:43
Spacey47 wrote:
Dude people are fat because they eat too much and move to little

There is NO verified science behind LC every ward study had shown NO advantage in eating low carb over another diet if the calories are the same

PLEASE don't quote fat health gurus like taubes, Atkins etc none of whom had a physique that anyone would aspire to

Americans are the worst supersize this man vs food the whole culture is based on gluttony these days and being hugely over weight is seen as normal.

Adults pass they're bad habits to their kids and so it continues

The japanese eat loads of carbs yet have very low levels of obesity and live for a long time what they don't generally do
Is over eat.



Going with the 'too stupid and lazy' mantra I see. You are wrong my friend but clearly nothing will shake your dogma since you so casually dismiss 'the likes' of Taubes and Atkins.
reddarin

Joined: Nov 11
Posts: 959

      quote  
Posted: 30 Jun 2013, 18:02
Just on the by and by, I started LC at 265 pounds and I lost 75 pounds with LC/NK without one tiny bit of exercise *and* I sat on my butt the majority of the day leading a very sedentary lifestyle.

Somehow that LC BS worked for me Razz
NCNOLE

Joined: Feb 11
Posts: 1,218

      quote  
Posted: 30 Jun 2013, 18:22
I don't think too many people doubt that you can lose on LC - it's maintaining. Can you maintain LC forever and remain sedentary and keep the weight off?
Clueless101

Joined: May 13
Posts: 254

      quote  
Posted: 30 Jun 2013, 18:37
Read Taubes book, Why we Get Fat and What to Do About it.
It explains it all. When you are informed about LC you will see that yes LC can be easy and you can maintain. Eating carbs makes you crave carbs. It is a vicious cycle. Insulin also plays a role.

Thanks Reddarin, On behalf of fat people everywhere! We are not just stupid and lazy! We are just a good as anyone else. Our metabolisms may be different and maybe the SAD (standard American diet) doesn't work for us. I have finally found that LC/NK works for me!
reddarin

Joined: Nov 11
Posts: 959

      quote  
Posted: 30 Jun 2013, 18:40
NCNOLE wrote:
I don't think too many people doubt that you can lose on LC - it's maintaining. Can you maintain LC forever and remain sedentary and keep the weight off?


It is a bit of an odd question, no? Why would an LC plan with a very sedentary lifestyle work to lose weight and the same plan and same lifestyle result in weight gain at apogee? It cannot be from steady calorie intake because that would result in a stall in short order, right?

But the question you ask can be asked of *any* weight loss plan and *every* weight loss plan suffers the same problem - getting the weight off and keeping it off.
NCNOLE

Joined: Feb 11
Posts: 1,218

      quote  
Posted: 30 Jun 2013, 19:08
Everyone I have ever known that has gone the low carb route, has gone off it. When you go off a "diet" you have to have a plan to keep the weight off. Low carb is hard to come off because once you introduce carbs back, most people start to gain weight back. If you just learn how to eat normal food without restrictions, just learn portion control, then you have no diet to come off of. The key is to not go on a "diet" but make a lifestyle change you can live with. If you just learn healthy eating, then you don't have to avoid the forbidden carbohydrates. You just have to learn to enjoy them in moderation and low carb does not really teach that since you have to avoid them (carbs like desserts and sandwiches... you can't avoid them forever). Lots of "diets" work to lose weight, but I really think the only true test is if you are able to keep it off. This is why I think it is best to learn healthy habits, healthy eating, exercise in an effort to be able to do it forever.

You send you were on LC and sedentary, that is why I said maintain LC and be sedentary for the rest of your life. Why not learn healthy eating and exercise? If you don't change your habits, you will go back to old ways once you feel comfortable with your weight. It happens all the time. How many people have done atkins, again and again? They had success the first 5 times, why not once again? That is not success IMO. Success is losing and keeping it off - and that takes learning healthy behaviors. Being sedentary has its own problems and she be avoided unless medical issues hinder being active. Having a desk job means making adjustments - getting up every 30-60 minutes and moving.
Spacey47

Joined: Apr 12
Posts: 916

      quote  
Posted: 30 Jun 2013, 19:42
reddarin wrote:
Just on the by and by, I started LC at 265 pounds and I lost 75 pounds with LC/NK without one tiny bit of exercise *and* I sat on my butt the majority of the day leading a very sedentary lifestyle.

Somehow that LC BS worked for me Razz


I find this the saddest comment you have made like you are PROUD not to have done any exercise of so why are you asking about doing it now.?

The error you and so many do make is simply mistaking fat loss for health gain.

Exercise has so many benefits OTHER than weight loss that you ignore at your peril
I.e. strengthening your heart and cardiovascular system. Strengthening your muscles, protecting illness etc etc


What I love about LC devotees is how you can happily IGNORE huge examples of people I.e. the japanese who eat loads of carbs yet remain slim and healthy long term? How do you explain it?


Funny when these people start adopting western life styles they start becoming obese like westerners.

Here you heard of the kitavans? A race of people who live 80 to 90% on carbs yet maintain very low body fat and health how is this possible?


Easy they both don't over eat more than they burn off

You are taking a ridiculous hammer to crack a nut. Americans ate carbs for years without getting fat as a nation because they never over ate and didmore manual work

Now they just sit on their butts and eat too much WHAT A SHOCK THEY ARE FAT!

HOW come at nearly 49 I can regularly eat chocolate, popcorn, bread. Potato etc etc and still lose 42 lbs in 6 months and maintain it it for a further 8 months with a 30 inch waist?

Portion control dude portion control and exercise which benefits me more than just weight loss

Gary Taubes is fat, Atkins had no physique worth talking about at least the people spreading the word should set the EXAMPLE to follow!
reddarin

Joined: Nov 11
Posts: 959

      quote  
Posted: 30 Jun 2013, 21:10
NCNOLE wrote:
Everyone I have ever known that has gone the low carb route, has gone off it. When you go off a "diet" you have to have a plan to keep the weight off. Low carb is hard to come off because once you introduce carbs back, most people start to gain weight back. If you just learn how to eat normal food without restrictions, just learn portion control, then you have no diet to come off of. The key is to not go on a "diet" but make a lifestyle change you can live with. If you just learn healthy eating, then you don't have to avoid the forbidden carbohydrates. You just have to learn to enjoy them in moderation and low carb does not really teach that since you have to avoid them (carbs like desserts and sandwiches... you can't avoid them forever). Lots of "diets" work to lose weight, but I really think the only true test is if you are able to keep it off. This is why I think it is best to learn healthy habits, healthy eating, exercise in an effort to be able to do it forever.

You send you were on LC and sedentary, that is why I said maintain LC and be sedentary for the rest of your life. Why not learn healthy eating and exercise? If you don't change your habits, you will go back to old ways once you feel comfortable with your weight. It happens all the time. How many people have done atkins, again and again? They had success the first 5 times, why not once again? That is not success IMO. Success is losing and keeping it off - and that takes learning healthy behaviors. Being sedentary has its own problems and she be avoided unless medical issues hinder being active. Having a desk job means making adjustments - getting up every 30-60 minutes and moving.


Interesting.

Everyone you know failed at LC? I say, the plural of anecdote is not data.

LC benefits from the same approach as a lifestyle as any other way of eating. If you don't do it like that your chances of regaining weight are just like any other temporary diet plan because it is a diet not a lifestyle change.

People following LC face the sort of problems that the pioneers of low fat eating faced. Lots of social opposition and situational temptations. Actually, we have it far, far worse because early adopters for low fat had the talking heads behind them 100%.

You say that LC is unsustainable because carbs are forbidden. First off, that is incorrect. There are no 'forbidden' carbs. Only limited carbs. And you promoted limitations as superior so we are at parity there I reckon. You called it portion control.

As for the (implied) derogatory nature of the word 'forbidden', I say, how do you account for people that are sugar free? They do very well. Or the gluten free folks? How about vegans and vegetarians? They exclude huge swaths of foods and yet they are given a pass on the exact same thing that LC'rs get beat over the head with. And, really, an LC person faces far less restriction that either of those plant based groups. And there is no reason an LC person can't enjoy a birthday or anniversary cake. Or an occasional night out. Exactly the same way a person pursuing the portion control all inclusive plan. They both face the same issue of not losing control.

Also, as far as 'eat everything in moderation' goes, I find it far less tempting to just avoid problem foods than try to eat a tiny portion of it. Why put myself and my health on the line every time I pass by the chip bowl? What about the consequences of failing to maintain portion control? How many eating disorders are spawned by feelings of failure over not being able to eat just a few chips or one oreo? I don't know about you but I know that I can much more easily not eat a package of fig newtons if I don't eat the first one.

"Why not learn healthy eating and exercise?"

LC is healthy eating my friend. So, I have that part covered.

Exercise is not particularly weight loss friendly for most people. And mixing exercise with weight loss adds an excuse to quit. I bet you know far more people that have started an exercise program and fell off than LC and fell off. In fact, I bet all but a few of those people that failed at LC were exercising at the time and fell off exercising when they fell of LC. Probably in that order too.

The answer is yes, I could have remained sedentary with LC and kept the weight off. I chose to begin exercising a few months ago because I was within about 20 pounds of my ideal weight *and* I want arms and a chest like Mike Chang. Okay, maybe not exactly like him but big arms and a shaped chest and, what the heck, even a six pack. Hooray for me! heh

Also, I *did* change my habits. I adopted LC/NK as a lifestyle not a weight loss program. I spent a lot of time getting knowledgeable about it so I could make informed choices.

"How many people have done atkins, again and again?"

Tell me about it. There are legions. But there are legions in every plan with any sort of restriction including portion control. As far as Atkinsesque plans go, I blame it on that awful carb ladder. The idea is not inherently bad but the symbolism is terrible. I haven't read the latest Atkins books but going by the Atkins site and what is said on forums there is far too little emphasis placed on the fact that cutting carbs let you lose weight and adding them back should be viewed as handling live grenades. Put each pin in carefully and wait a while to make sure that you don't blow up. I think the gravity of the situation is lacking. And, maybe worse, the idea that adding carbs back to the mythical critical carb level is for everyone. Even Dr. Phinney slammed that idea and he co-wrote the book.
reddarin

Joined: Nov 11
Posts: 959

      quote  
Posted: 30 Jun 2013, 22:04
Spacey47 wrote:
reddarin wrote:
Just on the by and by, I started LC at 265 pounds and I lost 75 pounds with LC/NK without one tiny bit of exercise *and* I sat on my butt the majority of the day leading a very sedentary lifestyle.

Somehow that LC BS worked for me Razz


I find this the saddest comment you have made like you are PROUD not to have done any exercise of so why are you asking about doing it now.?

The error you and so many do make is simply mistaking fat loss for health gain.

Exercise has so many benefits OTHER than weight loss that you ignore at your peril
I.e. strengthening your heart and cardiovascular system. Strengthening your muscles, protecting illness etc etc


What I love about LC devotees is how you can happily IGNORE huge examples of people I.e. the japanese who eat loads of carbs yet remain slim and healthy long term? How do you explain it?


Funny when these people start adopting western life styles they start becoming obese like westerners.

Here you heard of the kitavans? A race of people who live 80 to 90% on carbs yet maintain very low body fat and health how is this possible?


Easy they both don't over eat more than they burn off

You are taking a ridiculous hammer to crack a nut. Americans ate carbs for years without getting fat as a nation because they never over ate and didmore manual work

Now they just sit on their butts and eat too much WHAT A SHOCK THEY ARE FAT!

HOW come at nearly 49 I can regularly eat chocolate, popcorn, bread. Potato etc etc and still lose 42 lbs in 6 months and maintain it it for a further 8 months with a 30 inch waist?

Portion control dude portion control and exercise which benefits me more than just weight loss

Gary Taubes is fat, Atkins had no physique worth talking about at least the people spreading the word should set the EXAMPLE to follow!


lol

Wow! You are great at baiting people buddy!

But, sadly for you I guess, I am not easily cowed.

Exercise blah blah blah. I lost 75 pounds. I believe I am 100% of 75 pounds healthier.

I *am* proud of not doing a lick of exercise and losing that much weight. It pleases me to no end to defy the exercise mafia Smile

"Exercise has so many benefits OTHER than weight loss that you ignore at your peril"

Yes? So? Ever heard of a strawman? That seems to be your forte.

Japan? You mean this Japan? ---

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidemiology_of_obesity

Quote:
Japan

Using the WHO criteria Japan has the lowest rate of obesity among the OECD member countries at 3.2%.[2][19] However, as Asian populations are particularly susceptible to the health risks of excess adipose tissue the Japanese have redefined obesity as any BMI greater than 25.[20] Using this cut off value the prevalence of obesity in Japan would be 20%, a threefold increase from 1962 to 2002.[21] A 2008 report stated that 28.6% of men and 20.6% of women in Japan were considered to be obese.[22]


Hmmm. It doesn't look like Japan's high carb way of living is working out for them either. Of course the redefinition of the obesity BMI throws the comparison out the window but what isn't thrown out the window is the fact that their weight has been steadily increasing.

Also note that obesity is a world wide problem: "The only remaining region of the world where obesity is not common is sub-Saharan Africa".

Say. What about those claims you kicked this off with that you attributed to LC which are, in fact, an issue with thyroid or low calories?

Um. You won't believe Gary Taubes so why should I waste any time trying to convince you of something as eloquently and factually as Taubes did? Or Atkins. Or Phinney. Or Volek. Or Westman. Or, well, you get the picture.

Kitavans. Right. Another strawman. I never said it was impossible to eat carbs and thrive. How silly. *You* are doing it. Lots of people do it. So? That does not mean that high carb is superior to LC. Some people can drink gallons of beer a week and live a long healthy life. That doesn't make it the best approach to living.

I did say there is no such thing as an essential carb. So if you can disprove that go right ahead. Or, you can just keep pulling random population groups out of a hat that are neither here nor there.

"HOW come at nearly 49"

Hmmm. That is a stumper right there. Is it because you are the perfect specimen and we should all aspire to your ideal? Or is it because you can do that while others can't? According to you that makes them lazy and over indulgent.

You do understand that there are people that eat like horses their whole life without ever gaining weight, right? Are we all defective because we are not like them? Are we all defective because we are not like you? Are you sure that you have it all figured out? Okay, that last one was a trick question lol.




reddarin

Joined: Nov 11
Posts: 959

      quote  
Posted: 30 Jun 2013, 22:14
Quote:
so why are you asking about doing it now.?


Dang. I knew I missed this question after I made the post.

The answer is pure vanity. I want muscular arms, chest and, possibly, a six pack. But the question of frequency bugs me. That is why I was asking you about how often you train. Not for guidance just for information for comparison with other information. I was curious, though, what your advice would be to a person just starting out. I am not just starting out though and I have already researched what I am doing.

I love not being fat. I am within about 20 pounds of my ideal weight and I decided to start working on my physique. It is what I said many times to other people on another forum - lose the weight then workout when you get to goal or close to goal. Do exercise for fitness not weight loss.
Spacey47

Joined: Apr 12
Posts: 916

      quote  
Posted: 01 Jul 2013, 00:15
There is not one shred of SCIENTIFIC enhanced to back up your crack pot theories and I would apply that that to vegetarianism and vegans and fruitarians

If you wish to spend a life of denial have at it, but there is absolutely NO NEED or BENEFIT to be gained in doing so

You reject what you believe is non Essential despite it being BENEFICIAL ! why deny yourself a food source that may be very good for you too get into some wholly unnatural state that you have to check with stix to see of you are in it!

The Japanese like the Americans are likely adopting an over eating life style the fools


Why should I believe "fatty "Gary taubes ? He has said nothing that is scientifically proven and is a physical joke himself

As for exercise mafia you seem happy to join them now, but you mistakenly think that exercise will get you a 6 pack
It won't! Diet will get you a six pack with low levels of body fat so you still have a lot of dieting to do .


People who are overweight often attribute it to some imagined metabolic issue or thyroid problem the vast majority have no such ailments they simply eat too much and move too little, I know I have been over weight and have now corrected the problem.

Best example on this site is king keld , 75kg lost counting calories, eating everything, building up exercise job done







Spacey47

Joined: Apr 12
Posts: 916

      quote  
Posted: 01 Jul 2013, 05:06
Hitler finds out he has not lost any weight on a low carb Ketogenic diet

very funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=773hzYEq22s



Forum Search
Advanced forum search


Latest Posts

GOAL !!!
Happy Birthday to you. I'll bet you can't wait to spring your weightloss surprise on your family. Enjoy yourself. Dennis
by LittleRedFlatBack on 25 Oct 14 10:37 PM
From phen to ideal protein diet
I was on the Phen plan. Dr. prescribed it. A couple months later Dr. called and said stop. Very dangerous. While I was part of the class action against the company I learned much about the dangers of ...
by Glaun on 25 Oct 14 04:02 PM
Staying on Track
You do what is best for you, just be smart about it. As long as you are eating healthy and not starving yourself you'll be fine. It doesn't sound like your friends are encouraging you at all. ...
by Sassy shelby on 25 Oct 14 06:59 AM
Work Potluck
I like the dip! That's pretty cool. I also like the deviled eggs idea, but someone else is already bringing those.
by mars2kids on 24 Oct 14 12:06 PM
Vegan Diet
Hi. I'm trying to eat a vegan diet. Does anyone follow this type of eating plan? What types of food do you eat to get full?
by Hrgirl9 on 24 Oct 14 11:42 AM