barbequed chicken wings

previous topic · next topic
robotrobo

Joined: Nov 12
Posts: 9

      quote  
Posted: 13 Nov 2012, 02:57
hi everyone .
This is my first post & i wish to ask you all a question.
i have been told that i have a high cholestrial of 7 !, i am not over weight , i go swimming every day (64 lengths) every swim , most days for years.
i eat plenty of veg & little fruit , porridge every morning,
So ok i am cutting out cakes & biscuits from now ! so that should help me a lot , i drink alcohol at weekends , very little beer , on avg 2 bottles red wine over 3 days , no alcohol during the week , ok i will reduce the wine by a glass or so.
This is my question for now , i recently have a taste for bbq chicken wings , i cook them myself on a open bbq fire & are fairly crisp when cooked & all fat as drained on the open fire , i do not saturate them in anything other than a bit of sunflower oil just to get them cooking .
Will it be ok if i eat the chicken skin ? , takeing in there is very little of any meat or skin on the 6 or 7 that i eat with a corn on the cob & salad gear as well.
Any advice will be gracefully accepted & i thankyou very much , i am off to do my 64 lengths now , just one other thing i have raised blood pressure & i am going to be monitored soon.
best regards.
mr bean.
Diablo360x

Joined: Jul 11
Posts: 817

      quote  
Posted: 13 Nov 2012, 03:13
"Your body produces three to four times more cholesterol than you eat. The production of cholesterol increases when you eat little cholesterol and decreases when you eat much. This explains why the ”prudent” diet cannot lower cholesterol more than on average a few per cent."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_paradox
Love your food or risk failure. No quick fixes, this is a lifestyle change. No extremes are needed just consistency.
robotrobo

Joined: Nov 12
Posts: 9

      quote  
Posted: 13 Nov 2012, 04:49
Diablo360x wrote:
"Your body produces three to four times more cholesterol than you eat. The production of cholesterol increases when you eat little cholesterol and decreases when you eat much. This explains why the ”prudent” diet cannot lower cholesterol more than on average a few per cent."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_paradox


Hi Diablo.
thankyou for instant reply , so in your experience how do i change things for the better ?,i need to lower it unless i want a stroke ! , just returned from my swim 64 lengths in a slow time of 33 mins.
best regards.
mr bean
PeeFat

Joined: Jan 10
Posts: 521

      quote  
Posted: 13 Nov 2012, 10:39
You need to eat foods low in saturated fat. 7 medium chicken wings have total 46 grams of fat of which there is 13 grams of saturated fat and 200 mg of cholesterol. Baked/broiled,bbq, the fat is still there. If you have corn on the cob I'm guessing you'll put a tablespoon of butter on it which will add 11 more grams of fat, 7 of which are saturated fat and 31 mg of cholesterol.

Exercise helps a bit to lower ldl(bad cholesterol)and raise hdl(good cholesterol), but it's all about what you put in your mouth.
Genes also determine how much your cholesterol your body produces.

Try cutting boneless skinless chicken breasts into strips cook then toss in your favourite wing sauce. Learning healthier options to food high in saturated fat is better than having a heart attack or stroke.
Neptunebch

Joined: Jun 12
Posts: 67

      quote  
Posted: 13 Nov 2012, 11:05
I need a "plan". An eating plan that you have chosen after researching foods for lowering cholesterol or losing weight (if that is what you want to do) will give you a starting point toward your good health. The more you research, learn on FatSecret and try out for you - the better you will be able to answer your own questions. I use to say ask a nutritionist or doctor but now I trust my own research over their lack of research. Smile Good luck!
robotrobo

Joined: Nov 12
Posts: 9

      quote  
Posted: 29 Nov 2012, 05:36
robotrobo wrote:
hi everyone .
This is my first post & i wish to ask you all a question.
i have been told that i have a high cholestrial of 7 !, i am not over weight , i go swimming every day (64 lengths) every swim , most days for years.
i eat plenty of veg & little fruit , porridge every morning,
So ok i am cutting out cakes & biscuits from now ! so that should help me a lot , i drink alcohol at weekends , very little beer , on avg 2 bottles red wine over 3 days , no alcohol during the week , ok i will reduce the wine by a glass or so.
This is my question for now , i recently have a taste for bbq chicken wings , i cook them myself on a open bbq fire & are fairly crisp when cooked & all fat as drained on the open fire , i do not saturate them in anything other than a bit of sunflower oil just to get them cooking .
Will it be ok if i eat the chicken skin ? , takeing in there is very little of any meat or skin on the 6 or 7 that i eat with a corn on the cob & salad gear as well.
Any advice will be gracefully accepted & i thankyou very much , i am off to do my 64 lengths now , just one other thing i have raised blood pressure & i am going to be monitored soon.
best regards.
mr bean.


hi everyone.
i have got my results back from my doctors.

blood pressure. 128/69
total cholestreol 6. 00
hdl 1.20
ldl 3.9
triglycerides 1.93
total cholestreol:hdl ratio 5.00
random sugar 4.1.

background info , is that i am 64 years old , go swimming most days 80 kg in weight about 5ft 9".

will someone breakdown the results for me & guide me in the right direction!, i will answer the post if any questions are asked about me & my lifestyle , i would appreciate any help given .
regards.
mr bean
eKatherine

Joined: Aug 12
Posts: 1,286

      quote  
Posted: 29 Nov 2012, 09:51
Cholesterol and saturated fat are not the enemy. Despite some billions of dollars put into research, no evidence has been found that consuming either saturated fat or cholesterol causes heart disease.
robotrobo

Joined: Nov 12
Posts: 9

      quote  
Posted: 29 Nov 2012, 10:43
eKatherine wrote:
Cholesterol and saturated fat are not the enemy. Despite some billions of dollars put into research, no evidence has been found that consuming either saturated fat or cholesterol causes heart disease.


hi katherine.
have you any advice then on the figures produced?/
mr bean
paperiniko

Joined: Jul 11
Posts: 343

      quote  
Posted: 30 Nov 2012, 02:09
eKatherine wrote:
Cholesterol and saturated fat are not the enemy. Despite some billions of dollars put into research, no evidence has been found that consuming either saturated fat or cholesterol causes heart disease.


based on what? on a study that has a sample of 7 people? As a matter of fact there is plenty of evidence that shows how cholesterol is correlated to high saturated fats intake and most of all that high cholesterol causes heart disease.
Now for sure correlation is not necessarily causation and the cholesterol synthesis is affected by quite a few different factors, including genetics, inflammation etc but dismissing that altogether seems imprudent to say the least
eKatherine

Joined: Aug 12
Posts: 1,286

      quote  
Posted: 30 Nov 2012, 09:18
paperiniko wrote:
eKatherine wrote:
Cholesterol and saturated fat are not the enemy. Despite some billions of dollars put into research, no evidence has been found that consuming either saturated fat or cholesterol causes heart disease.


based on what? on a study that has a sample of 7 people? As a matter of fact there is plenty of evidence that shows how cholesterol is correlated to high saturated fats intake and most of all that high cholesterol causes heart disease.
Now for sure correlation is not necessarily causation and the cholesterol synthesis is affected by quite a few different factors, including genetics, inflammation etc but dismissing that altogether seems imprudent to say the least

Meta analysis shows there is no association between saturated fat intake and heart disease.

Funny you say "7 people", because that is the quality of study that often is used to support the lipid hypothesis.

The research that originally was used to propose the lipid hypothesis (that consumption of saturated fat and cholesterol causes heart disease) compared populations with lifestyles that differed in many respects. Even within the groups there were great variations. Yet the researchers decided that the only factor they wanted to consider was saturated fat and cholesterol intake, and ignored all other lifestyle and dietary differences.

Badly-designed research picked up by media in search of easy sound bites can result in all sorts of misinformation. The study that "proved" coconut oil will kill you was based on feeding chemically-purified hydrogenated coconut oil (a product which cannot even be purchased by consumers) to animals. Tell me about all the studies that show a correlation between consumption of coconut products and heart disease in populations that consume them as a mainstay of their diets. Please.

The fact is that doing long-term dietary research on real people is hideously expensive. It basically hasn't been done. Factory products like vegetable oil were never a part of the human diet until the advent of factories, where heating and the use of hydrocarbons like hexanes to extract them became possible.

The US government and agribusiness have been trying for 100 years to convince people that they should buy more processed food products, trying to convince housewives that the modern, scientific thing to do is to not waste their time preparing meals for their families when packaged food is available.

Here is the research that is used to support USDA dietary recommendations.

I had given up on locating that insulin article, but here it is (link within the blog post.



Forum Search
Advanced forum search


Latest Posts

Motivation Lost Completely - Need a boost and tips
Thanks all. I'll look into it. Much appreciated.x
by Popsilundius on 23 Oct 14 01:17 AM
The Anti inflammatory diet
Hello all... Glad to hear you are interested in the anti-inflammatory diet. I think it goes further than those wonderful Ezekiel 4:9 raisin cinnamon muffins with organic Almond butter ...everything we ...
by BanjoStories on 22 Oct 14 11:05 PM
For New Members
If you are in a challenge, you can go to your challenge and find your name in the Recent Challenge Progress. If you don't see your name, you might have to click on View More Results, or View Other ...
by Deb_N on 22 Oct 14 09:32 PM
Diabetic Diets
Thanks everyone for all of your great suggestions. Your encouragement means a lot.
by Madam Pompadour on 22 Oct 14 05:21 PM
Site question
If you look on the righthand side of the page, you should see the Technical Help icon. You might try sending them an email with your question? Good luck.
by LittleRedFlatBack on 22 Oct 14 05:06 PM